I am excited to share about meditation and mindfulness with kids. I have been working on mindfulness and starting meditation. It is recent over these last two months, but I have found purposely slowing down to focus on breathing has made a difference. Even my 15month old likes to sit and breathe with me. I usually get covered in his teething drool, but it is nice teaching them to sit down in quiet and connect. You can find links to practice lessons and resources at the bottom of my post. Save 15% on your zafooz.com/shop purchase by using the promo code breatheBhappy. Offer valid until July 22, 2019
We were sent Zafooz friends by Momsmeet.com to help share mindfulness with my kiddos in hopes to give them a skill set to access throughout their lives. My three-year-old is an energy level 20 compared to most his age, both in enthusiasm for meeting people and trying new things, but also in he is unable to slow down just yet.
I have been waiting for him to grow into learning to sit still. I am proud to say I have seen a difference since introducing his Lotus Ladybug. Nope, he has NOT learned to slow down running around or greeting people like the overwhelming social butterfly that he is- no. Not thinking those would change, and nor would I want to see that.
What I did see is him being able to take deep breaths when he gets overwhelmed. Hug his pillow when he needs to let out physical energies and not lash out. At swim class, I have noticed him take a deep breath and wait his turn extra still: when usually he would jump up and jump in WAY before his time.
Let me introduce you fully to Lotus Ladybug and Mindful Monkey:
All six Zafooz have unique, exciting names and descriptions that are associated with mediation, yoga, or wellness. I did not go online and check these out and let my kiddos pick them. By default, my 15-month-old got the monkey.
Lotus Ladybug: I did not even know this description before writing the blog! SO cute, and I get why my spirited kiddo picked her over the Mindful monkey now.
My mantra is… I AM LOVED
I am everybody’s favorite ladybug with a colorful vibrant spirit. I am easy to get along with and bring good luck to everyone I meet. Like a Lotus flower, no matter how murky life can be I will always grow to be beautiful and true to soul.
This Zafooz is ideal for the high spirited, highly sensitive child. The child who may tend to take on others energy along with his/her own. Like the Lotus this Zafooz may remind him/her that they should always be themselves no matter what their environment they come from.
Mindful Monkey: Babies by default but fits him perfectly! He is a big fan of alone time.
My Mantra is… I BREATHE IN AND SMILE
I am a smart and curious monkey, who likes to have fun. I love my family and friends. Playing tricks on people is my favorite thing to do. When I practice mindfulness everyday I notice all that is happening right in the moment. I breathe in and out and I know I am just fine. You are just fine too!
This Zafooz is ideal for the aware, independent thinker or curious child. One who enjoys having fun with others but craves their alone time too. This child may have no problem sitting for a brain break, connecting to their breath and quieting their body and mind.
Do I think my 15-month-old has any clue? Not really. I think he enjoys imitating us, and I am happy to teach through him copying us until he understands what he is doing. We lay down and have a quiet time because mostly there is no more solid nap time where they both sleep together, or at all, and I need just 15 minutes of quiet. I usually turn on soothing sounds, and we all lay down and snuggle.
I noticed my 3-year-old will take deep breaths and hold his LadyBug and breath without even being prompted by me now, and its only been a month. He loves it as a pillow, and I think making it a fun item to not only sit on and squeeze- with fun characters, makes it that much better for him to want to practice with me and learn new ways of mindfulness.
An Easy Zafooz Practice
Before you begin: Below you will find guided script to help your child practice Mindfulness with their Zafooz seat. Take your time between sentences to allow your child to have a full experience. As you become familiar with the practice, feel free to add your own language and terms to suit your child.
Hello mindful friend! I’d like to invite you to sit, breath and relax on your Zafooz!
▪ Find a favorite comfortable position on your Zafooz. Try sitting with your legs crossed. (criss-cross applesauce position).
▪ Sitting up tall and keeping your back straight.
▪ Relax your arms and place hands on your knees or in your lap.
▪ Softly close your eyes or you may look downward at your Zafooz.
▪ Take three (3) slow deep breaths through your nose, like your are smelling a sweet birthday cake. Then blow the air out through your mouth like your blowing out your birthday candle.
▪ Return back to your normal breath. Feel the air come in through your nose and back out through your nose.
▪ Relax your whole body. Imagine you are light as a balloon floating in the sky. What color ballon are you? Are you the only balloon floating or do you see others? Are you beginning to feel calm, peaceful or happy?
▪ Think about the tip of your nose and focus back on the breath moving in and out of your nose.
▪ How does the air feel that comes in and out of your nose?
▪ Feel the air come in through your nose and go all the way into your belly.
▪ Try placing your hand on your belly or your chest and feel them both move up and down with each breath.
▪ Try sitting still and breathing in and out softly for a short time. If you are enjoying your time breathing and want to sit longer that is o.k. too!
▪ Now that your peaceful rest has come to an end. Take a moment to give yourself a big hug and thank yourself for taking this special time just for YOU!
Keep up the great work. You can sit on your Zafooz over and over again, whenever you want to have a peaceful moment.
Tip for parent, guardian or teachers: start slow with time to sit. One minute is a nice way to ease into it. Slowly increasing time only if child is comfortable and capable of sitting for an extended time. Or try to see if your child can sit for the amount of their age. Example: if your child is 5 years old see if they can sit for 5 minutes, but only if they want to.
Zafooz, created by Metta Creations, LLC is committed to helping young people learn to connect and nurture themselves through daily mindfulness practices that help shape their worldview through the eyes of patience, love, and kindness. All zafooz designs have sweet, peaceful faces to remind children that is is safe to slow down and go within. By encouraging our youth to sit in a brief daily mindfulness practice, the creator of zafooz hopes to tap into the social and emotional skills children need to live a well-balanced life.