So a lot of health and fitness trends come and go out there, and I am always one to try anything once. I will try anything in life- once. Ok, maybe almost anything.. Anyways, there are few things I keep wanting to try to love that I just can’t wrap my head or taste buds around. Coconut water, Coconut oil, Apple cider vinegar, and juice cleanses. I will never jump on the coconut water train, nope. Coconut oil and I have fought for years but recently have fallen in love(more on that later this week). Apple cider vinegar(ACV) has many claims to fame, and warnings so I am going to brief over a few of them before giving you my amazing Apple Cider Vinegar Apple Pie drink recipe! This is not a juice cleanse recipe, but I have read about detox effects of ACV.
There a ton of claim to fame reasons for ACV, here are just a few:
- Weight loss: For so many years, claims to be an assistant for weight loss. It apparently makes you feel fuller, but also has properties to lower blood sugar levels after a meal.
- Lowers Blood pressure and helps increase a healthy heart.
- Support a healthy immune system and soothes dry throats. – When I was sick EVERYONE told me to do shots of ACV, swearing by it curing you faster. I mean my personal Facebook BLEW up with Honey and ACV recipes and claims to healing fast. Apparently it helps to not only flush out your bad germs, it makes it hard for germs to set in an infection status with such an acidic environment.
- Promotes digestion & ph Balance- Some people claim it helps indigestion.
- Helps remove body sludge toxins- I mean I would abandon ship if I was sludge too, this stuff tastes AWFUL. Hello DETOX
- Helps support healthy skin/Soothes irritated skin- I have put it in a detox bath before. I smell like a salad but always come out super soft with shiny hair.
- Relieves muscle pain from exercise- Since using daily, I am so much less sore after lifting weights. Still sore, but it always seems to feel better with a little apple pie drink. (Recipe below) I do not know if it is just a placebo effect, but I will take it!
So lots of claim to fame, WebMD doesn’t debunk many of the claims either. It actually has a lot of support and research for blood sugar and weight loss. Which is surprising because every home remedy I take to research real medical findings, I rarely find support for it. I am a true believer in modern western medicine- do not get me wrong. I just take “ try anything once if it won’t hurt me” approach to things. I have used some natural remedies for a condition I was dealing with for 3 years, and within 6 months reversed it. I am willing to try it all if it could help.
This stuff tastes SO BAD.
So as many claims to ultimate well-being, Apple Cider Vinegar tastes even worse. It is disgusting. My aunt who is an avid user told me to work my way up from a few drops in a big glass of cold water, to the recommended daily dose. Your daily dose will vary on what you are looking to do with it. I have read some negatives about increasing too much acid in the body so I only worked up to 1-2 tablespoons a day and left it at that. I know people do this amount 3x a day, but I am happy with the results I see from 2 TBS a day.
I recently have made green smoothies to increase my veggies and fruit intake. I am terrible at eating breakfast, I am never hungry but can sip on a smoothie slowly. I know the benefits of breakfast, I just have never been able to stomach it/ be hungry. This lead to some experimentation in trying to use ACV and I am ready to share!
Apple Pie: How I get my Apple Cider Vinegar.
So I do not use this as a meal replacement, and I am not claiming this will cure you. I was looking for a different way to try again to love this trend, and this is what I came up with. I had a ton of apples, and I was having the 3pm sugar craving.
So since I usually toss a cup of this stuff in my detox bath, I hate smelling like it. Even though my skin comes out super soft, and my hair super shiny— it smells as bad as it tastes. Blah. So I call it my apple pie detox drink. It is all going to vary on how you want it to taste, but I can not even TASTE the Apple Cider Vinegar when I make this!!
1/2 an apple is needed, but I toss a whole one for a full serving. I worked my way up to 2 tablespoons of ACV, but in this drink I never noticed 1 TBS so if you are not willing to take a shot of this stuff- try 1 TBS in this. Or less- depends on your sensitivity. I put a crap ton of cinnamon. I know. It is one health trend I can get with, I would put it on EVERYTHING if I could. I am not a doctor, nutritionist, or anyone giving you health or medical advice. Use at your own risk or please check with your doctor, as ACV can interact with medications or cause problems for people sensitive to acid. I am just sharing my way of finally getting on the bandwagon of Apple Cider Vinegar in a way I LOVE.
*note I usually use the Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar for my drinks, and the one pictured is also “with the mother” one I use in the bath because it is cheaper and I use a lot in the bath. *